Pruning is an important gardening skill. Always use proper tools that are clean and sharp. By pruning you encourage healthy growth of your shrubs and trees.
WHEN TO PRUNE
- Best to prune shrubs and trees is when they are dormant. September to December and February to April.
- Do not prune Maple or Birch in early spring. The sap bleed to much and can be a host for moulds and fungi.
- Do not prune forsythia, lilac or mock orange in spring or fall you will cut the flower buds off. They should be pruned right after they finish flowering.
- Evergreens and cedars should be pruned in mid May just after the new growth has come out.
- It is illegal to prune elm trees between April 1st and July 31st when the Elm Beetle is active.